Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I just love Frank. He writes so well and does it so prolifically. I have neither the patience nor the inclination.

I particularly liked this post about general health and diet and exercise.

I didn't get started on the diet and exercise thing until ten years ago. It's made a world of difference in how I think of myself and how I feel. Weight training is just as hypnotic and entrancing as the drugs I used to do. It's also made me look a lot better and it's kept off the 110 pounds that I lost. I would recommend it to anyone.

I left a comment on Frank's post that was wildly off-topic, so I'll repost it here. After all if a person's going to make OT comments of novella length, maybe he needs to get his own blog. lol:

I’m very confused as to what constitutes the difference between schizophrenia and a psychotic episode. I’ve personally had four psychotic episodes.

With the first one, I was examined by the college psychiatrist, who then drove me in his car to be examined by a psychiatrist at a local hospital. I didn’t stay at the hospital. The college shrink took me back to campus. He said I needed to flush the speed down the toilet, stop the drinking, beg forgiveness of the people I’d pissed off and take some Xanax, which as far as I could tell didn’t do shit.

With the second one, my parents took me to the hospital, but the hospital sent me home after three days with a script for Haldol, which I liked much better than the Xanax. I took it as long as it worked and got me high. After it stopped doing anything at all, I quit.

The third time I ended up in the hospital again. They sent me home after three days because I seemed to enjoy the Thorazine which they gave me along with the prolixin decanoate injections. I got buzzed on that stuff for several months and then it stopped doing anything, so I quit.

If you’ve not noticed a common thread to these three episodes, I was never committed for any of them.

The fourth time was entirely different. They committed me to two separate 90-day outpatient commitments and forced me to take Risperdal and Depakote, which as far as I could tell did absolutely nothing in the mental functioning department. I’ve refused to have a thing to do with mental health after that. And that was 17 years ago.

Like I say, I was always really confused as to what constituted the difference between psychosis and schizophrenia and what it means to “recover”. I guess it’s whatever the shrink says it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment